Friday, January 13, 2006

Women Healthcare Providers

I recently started practicing in a primary care office where the other two providers are men. Several times now over the past two days, I've heard women exclaim their excitement in having a woman as a health care provider. For many, there is comfort in knowing that another woman would be doing their exams...especially those pelvic exams.

It made me think back to when I first was exposed to have a female provider. For me, it may all the difference in the world...I've rarely had a male provider since - and never again for gyn exams.

On the other hand, I remember a few years ago, I had a woman tell me she would never let another woman do her exam...for her it just did not feel right.

What about you...do you have a preference in the gender of your health care provider?

Feel free to click the comment link below and leave your thoughts.

Namaste,

Barbara C. Phillips, NP
OlderWiserWomen™

1 Comments:

At 6:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I prefer women to do my exams because they "know what it's like".. I did have a wonderful OB/GYN that was a man and he took wonderful care of me. I think that gender shouldn't count as much as the care one receives..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home